It's the first day of fall and the start of cooler days for many regions across the country. Here are a few tips to help you save energy -- and keep heating costs down.
- Maintain your heater by regularly changing the air filter.
- Seal the leaks in your ductwork with mastic, available at most hardware stores.
- Seal air leaks from windows, doors, fireplaces, recessed lights, drain lines, vents, and electrical outlets with weather-stripping and caulk.
- Install high-quality insulation in walls and attics to reduce heater usage.
- Keep the thermostat down a few degrees and get a programmable thermostat to reduce heater overuse.