We are excited to invite K-12 students to submit posters in the first ever Hands Across the Sand, New Orleans poster contest! Hands Across the Sand is an international day of unity to raise awareness about the consequences of offshore drilling and promote a green energy economy. In New Orleans, the event will focus on urging changes to prevent another oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico by saying “No” to dirty fuels and “Yes” to clean energy.
At noon on May 18th, supporters of this cause will join hands along the Mississippi River Levee near the Andry St. Wharf. This will be followed by a gathering and tours of Global Green’s Holy Cross Project located at 409 Andry St., New Orleans. Poster contest submissions will be displayed during the event and the winning poster from each grade will be highlighted on the event sponsors’ media pages; including Facebook, Twitter, websites, and/or blogs.
All community members—including staff, faculty, parents, and students—are encouraged to join us at the event.
All students in New Orleans public, private, and charter schools and youth organizations.
- · 8 ½ x 11, white paper
- · Must say “Hands Across the Sand 2013” somewhere on the front of the poster.
- · Choose one or more of the following themes to inspire a drawing:
- o Join hands to protect the Gulf Coast.
- o Join hands to say NO to dirty fuels and YES to clean energy.
- o Join hands to preserve our oceans, drinking water and food from dangerous, dirty fuels.
- · Specify the chosen theme either on the front or back of the poster.
- · Write name, grade, school, and teacher on the back of the poster.
Entries can be mailed or delivered by 4pm on Friday, May 17th to
Global Green, USA
Attn: HAtS Poster Contest
2705 S. Broad St.
New Orleans, LA 70125
Entries can be hand delivered to the event by 11:45am on Saturday, May 18th.
409 Andry St.
New Orleans, LA 70117
Entries will be judged by representatives from each sponsoring organization; Global Green, USA, Gulf Restoration Network, the Lower 9th Ward Center for Sustainable Engagement and Development (CSED), and SouthWings. One winner from each grade level will be chosen and announced at the succeeding gathering.
See www.handsacrossthesand.org for more details.
Facebook event to RSVP and share: https://www.facebook.com/events/132039026988557/