If you're interested in greening your school but don't know where to start, you can begin by asking the school administration the following questions:
- What kinds of cleaning supplies are used?
- What kinds of light bulbs are used?
- Does the school have a recycling program? Are the children involved?
- What kinds of air filters are used? How often are they changed? How often are the vents checked?
- Is there a school garden program?
- Is there a composting program?
- Is there a plan in place to turn off lights and school equipment when not in use?
- Will the school be painted this year? If so, will you be using no-VOC or low-VOC paint?
- Do the bathrooms and kitchen sinks have low-flow aerators and are there low-flush toilets? If any of the plumbing equipment will be replaced this year or soon, will you install low-flow devices?