GLOBAL GREEN USA NEW YORK COUNCIL
Global Green USA is the U.S. affiliate of Green Cross International, the environmental movement founded by President Mikhail Gorbachev more than a decade ago. Global Green’s mission is to foster a global value shift toward a sustainable and secure future.
Global Green in New York
Greening Affordable Housing
Mitigating Waste & Greenhouse Gases
- Goal: Working with legislative experts to promote green affordable housing policies throughout the state.
- Example of Impact: Greening to LEED Gold Standard the and greenest Habitat for Humanity project to date: Brooklyn’s 41-unit Atlantic Avenue complex.
- Goal: Divert 580,000 tons of waste per year from New York City, saving businesses $70 million in disposal costs and reduce greenhouse gases by 1.4 million tons per year, the equivalent of taking 300,000 cars off the road.
- Example of Impact: Since restaurants alone 700 tons of paper packaging and 1,100 tons of food waste per day, Global Green’s Coalition for Resource Recovery (CoRR)*, a nation-wide commercial corporate membership group, has created scalable, model projects for the food service industry. It’s local successes include.
- Piloting new recycling systems for coffee cups and paper food packaging at NYC Starbucks and Pret a Manger.
- Promoting conversion of 6,000 tons per year of wholesale poultry boxes servicing the NYC market to recyclables. If all boxes are recycled, it is the equivalent in greenhouse gas reduction to removing 3800 passenger cars from the road.
- *The Albert and Elaine Borchard Foundation, Mertz Gilmore Foundation, New York Community Trust, Overbrook Foundation, and the Turner Foundation have furthered Global Green's work through their support.
Special New York National Event
Global Green’s annual NYC Sustainable Design Awards Gala is held in New York City in November. This event recognizing the effective leadership of individuals and companies who are helping to advance climate and sustainable solutions locally and nationally to make our world more secure. The event also serves as a critical opportunity to raise awareness and funds to support Global Green’s initiatives around the country.
Among the 2011 Award recipients are Adrian Grenier (Entertainment), Fisker Automotive (Corporate), Starbucks (Green Building) and Sprint (Product). Past recipients have included Arianna Huffington, eBay Inc., Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Sophia Bush and Austin Nichols, Wade Greene, TIME Magazine, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, The Sundance Channel, Giorgio Armani, filmmaker Rolland Emmerich, Good Housekeeping, Gov. Bill Richardson, Russell Albanese and Tesla Motors.
WE INVITE YOUR MEMBERSHIP
Global Green USA depends on the support and involvement of conscientious, progressive individuals to achieve its goals and to forward President Gorbachev’s vision of a safer, more sustainable planet. Now in its second decade, Global Green understands the urgent need for knowledgeable and dedicated leaders who are active in the environmental community. To download a copy of the Prospectus and a Pledge Form, please click here. To join the Council now by making a donation via our secure website, please click here.
For more information, please contact Sarah Susson at [email protected] or call 310.571.2700 x108
- Membership Commitment
- Give and/or raise $5,000 per year, and
- Help recruit additional Council members and spread Global Green’s message.
- Member Benefits
- VIP Patron tickets to our national, regional events;
- Exclusive invitations and in-person briefings / receptions on our work locally, nationally and internationally;
- Recognition in Global Green publications and online;
- Project site visits, and more.
- Higher benefit levels and event sponsorships are available.