The Global Green USA Environmental Security & Sustainability Programin Washington, D.C. is offering an internship for undergraduate or graduate students interested in gaining practical experience in international security, arms control, environmental research, public policy, and the legislative process. Interns participate in a variety of activities that support both organizational and individual development.
- Develop, research, write, and publish a report on a topic developed according to the needs of the organization, intern’s own interests, as well as potential school requirements for academic credit.
- Assist with regular updates of the Green Cross / Global Green blog.
- Assist with organizational needs of ESS events in Washington, D.C.
- Assist Program Assistant and Program Director in planning and implementation of projects to promote the safe and environmentally sound destruction of weapons stockpiles globally.
- Help with other tasks and projects as needs arise.
- Global disease surveillance network(s) (with a focus on Central-Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union states)
- Nonproliferation universality campaign
- Overview of arms control and disarmament treaties related to conventional weapons
- Conventional weapons destruction analysis
- Must have a proven interest in international security policy, arms control, nonproliferation, and/or related environmental issues
- Must be at least a college junior in good standing or a graduate student
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), or the equivalent if from a non-US institution
Time Commitment: Minimum two months; part-time (20+ hours/week); full-time (35+ hours/week); hours to be determined with intern and academic institution.
Location: Our office is located at 1100 15th Street, NW, 11th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20005.
About GGUSA: Founded in 1993 by activist and philanthropist Diane Meyer Simon, Global Green is the American Arm of Green Cross International (GCI), which was created by President Mikhail S. Gorbachev to foster a global value shift toward a sustainable and secure future by reconnecting humanity with the environment. Global Green USA is the only national environmental nonprofit headquartered in Southern California and also has offices in New Orleans, Washington, D.C., and New York. It is one of 31 national GCI affiliates throughout the world.
Mission: To foster a value shift towards a more sustainable and secure future. Global Green is working to address some of the greatest challenges facing humanity. In the United States, our work is primarily focused on stemming global climate change by creating green buildings and cities.
Values: Professionalism; Respect, Trust, and Teamwork; Transparency, Openness, and Communication; Nimble Yet Focused Risk-Taking Entrepreneurialism; Optimism; Balance and Fun
Compensation: This internship is unpaid. Academic credit is available. Please work out academic credit details with your academic institution.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter (including dates and times of availability), short writing sample (1-3 pages), and list of three references and their contact information by e-mail to [email protected]. Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. EOE.