Global Green USA is seeking a dynamic creative individual to lead and manage the Development and Communications Teams in Santa Monica, CA. This position will report to the President & CEO, and to the COO for budget and organizational priorities/work plans while managing the Communications and Development teams. The ideal candidate should possess development, communications, marketing & management skills. Focused energy, flexibility and agility a plus. The successful candidate will bring superior communication abilities and the professional maturity to build alliances with external and internal constituencies.
This position is responsible for: corporate and event fundraising, individual giving, online and social media, donor/database management, online advocacy, and all other marketing and communications needs. Key is managing the Development and Communications teams for accountability and performance, while working strategically with the program staff. This individual will be a part of the organizational management team with the COO and CEO, and bring leadership and management experience along with drive and demonstrated success in expanding donor and member audiences and revenue. Key is to inspire philanthropy for Global Green USA. The candidate needs to be able to balance multiple priorities, while keeping the focus on donor servicing and cultivation at the forefront.
• Bachelor’s degree required, masters or above preferred; experience in or with nonprofit organizations required
• 8 to 12 years experience with a nonprofit, or a related field with similar experience
• Proven track record of achieving revenue targets $3-5 million or more annually
• Proven management and leadership capabilities
• Experience working with high net worth individuals and/or senior level executives
• High energy, positive, can-do attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative
• Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development
• Demonstrated ability to prospect, create, cultivate, and manage new relationships
• Strong partnership-building and event planning or production skills
• Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base
• Strong computer skills MAC or PC and knowledge of Razors edge
• Ability to perform under deadlines and changing schedules
• Ability to prioritize effectively, and communicate to the CEO is essential
• Managing up and supporting the CEO in creating the team culture needed for success tantamount
Key Responsibilities: Plans, directs, and coordinates all headquarters-based Development and Communications activities, major fundraising activities and special projects, by performing the following duties personally or through staff (or across teams). The team consists of: an assistant, fundraising event manager, online and social media director, online managing editor, database administrator, and Director responsible for regional councils (major gifts of $5k and above) and foundation Manager. Team also includes the COO (for budget and organizational goals), and the CEO and his assistant.
• Responsible for researching, creating and closing opportunities for Corporations to donate to programs or participate in event sponsorships, or, as appropriate, program or initiative partnerships
• Be responsible for creating plans and pitch proposals to meet these goals.
• Assist CEO to create strategies to increase and continue corporate fundraising goals
• Expand the corporate giving base and the amounts given
• Manage and adhere to the corporate giving guidelines and policies that may restrict corporate donors, or their desired benefits
Individual Giving, Councils and Membership
• Manage the Individual Giving and Membership program
• Deploy and manage the CEO and other team members to maximize cultivation and repeat gifts
• Work with COO on financial goals and targets, produce annual fundraising calendar
• Manage donor cultivation/servicing lists for President & CEO, and other Development staff members
• Participate in some direct solicitations and occasionally serve as surrogate organizational representative
• Be responsible for annual and monthly Individual Giving and Membership team fundraising goals, team and individual accountability metrics, performance indicators, solicitation timelines and activity goals
• Identify, evaluate, cultivate, solicit, and steward existing donors, and rapidly increase pipeline of prospective individual major gift prospects
• Work with CEO to prepare multi-year Development/Communications strategic and operational plans for the identification, qualification, engagement, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors, including high net-worth donors and prospects to meet revenue expectations for GGUSA's funding priorities; including development of plans to maximize annual commitments of five-figure gifts and multi-year commitments of six- and seven-figure gifts
Communications, Marketing Earned Media and Social Media
• Manage and work with Online Communications/Social Media to implement effective online and social media engagement, advocacy, and fundraising programs
• Manage the development of Materials (e.g., decks for events and fundraising strategies, materials to solicit corporate program support, Annual Report, Brochures, etc.)
• Prepare and deliver inspiring and motivational presentations for executive leadership, staff, donors and prospective donors
• Cultivate and manage key earned media relationships
• Manage press events with team
• Responsible for managing all events annually
• Oversee production and content for all events
• Working with internal and external team to solicit sponsorships, script, produce, handle press and meet fundraising expectations
• Create plans to increase the percentage surplus of all events
• Responsible for managing the grant writer and growing the foundation revenue
• Manage foundation prospecting process and guidelines
• Ensure any program design opportunities are maximized or aligned with current org priorities
About GGUSA: Founded in 1994 by activist and philanthropist Diane Meyer Simon, Global Green is the American Arm of Green Cross International (GCI), which was created by President Mikhail S. Gorbachev to foster a global value shift toward a sustainable and secure future by reconnecting humanity with the environment. Global Green USA is the only national environmental nonprofit headquartered in Southern California with offices in New Orleans, Washington DC, and New York, and is one of 31 national affiliates throughout the world.
Mission: To foster a value shift towards a more sustainable and secure future. Global Green is working to address some of the greatest challenges facing humanity. In US, our work is primarily focused on stemming global climate change by creating green buildings and cities while helping the communities, people, and planet in crisis.
Values: Professionalism; Respect, Trust, and Teamwork; Transparency, Openness, and Communication; Nimble Yet Focused Risk-Taking Entrepreneurialism; Optimism; Balance and Fun
Compensation: Compensation based on experience and qualifications. Position includes full benefits package, including 401k plan.
Apply To: Qualified applicants should submit a resume and brief cover letter describing their interest in this position immediately to Global Green USA, include salary requirements. Subject: Chief Development and Communications Officer via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. EOE.