Happy National Philanthropy Day from New Orleans!
Today is the 25th anniversary of National Philanthropy Day, a day set aside by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) to recognize the contributions that philanthropy and philanthropists make to our communities and the world. According to AFP, Americans give more than $300 billion annually to charitable causes like Global Green. With this support, the quality of life for millions of people and thousands of communities have been improved in many aspects, from education, healthcare and the arts to sustainability and community revitalization. In celebration of our donors on National Philanthropy Day, we here at the New Orleans office wanted to take a moment to say a special THANK YOU to all of our generous donors who allow us to continue our efforts improving the lives of New Orleanians and Gulf Coast residents in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the BP Oil Spill.
Special thanks go out to all our individual donors and the New Orleans Committee, as well as the following partners: The Greater New Orleans Foundation, The Surdna Foundation, Enterprise Community Partners, Terrebonne Readiness and Assistance Coalition, The Corporation for National and Community Service, United Way for the Greater New Orleans Area, Louisiana Housing Finance Agency, Capital One Bank, The Energy Foundation, US Department of Energy, the City of Youngstown, Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation, the Louisiana Office of Community Development and Whole Foods Market.
National Philanthropy Day also happens to fall at a time when the New Orleans office has been particularly busy submitting applications seeking support to allow us to continue current efforts while expanding our programming to provide assistance to a wider array of residents. Staff are working to secure funding to:
- Build public private partnerships for energy efficiency financing options for consumers;
- Spur local partnership development;
- Reach out to small local businesses, middle income homeowners and renters with energy efficiency information and assistance;
- Provide energy efficiency retrofits training to nonprofit rebuild groups and small contractors;
- Accurately measure the improvements we achieve in indoor air quality;
- Provide free weatherizations for low-income families;
- Complete work of our sustainable development in the Holy Cross Neighborhood;
- Work with Youngstown, OH to turn the “Rust Belt” city green;
- Implement viable solutions for wetlands restoration along the Gulf Coast;
- Create long-term solutions as the Coast works toward recovery in the wake of the BP Oil Spill.
Feeling inspired by our work? Click here to donate today in honor of National Philanthropy Day!!